Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Finish






I have added a photograph of the guitar some eight months after it was made. The spruce top has darkened considerably as the guitar ages. The difference in color is evident from comparison between the new photograph and those below. The sound has improved as the structure stabilizes and the guitar responds to regular playing.

The guitar is completed. Chuck did an excellent job of applying a lacquer finish. This, a time consuming process, involved sealing the grain, sanding, applying wash coats of sealer then several build coats of lacquer. These are allowed to cure, then leveled. Additional coats are applied and the curing and leveling process repeated followed by the final rub out and polishing. The neck is left with a satin finish which is pleasant to the touch.

The outcome can be seen in the photographs (double click to enlarge). Chuck is a perfectionist and went to a lot of trouble to achieve a high quality outcome. He took extra care to drop fill a section of the purfling that was absorbing lacquer, followed by a repeat of part of the build and leveling process. I think he takes almost as much pride in this guitar as I do.

Having had some time to play and examine the guitar I am very pleased with the outcome. The woods are not exotic by any means, and the slightly knotty grain in the mahogany back and gently curved grain in the sides might not conform to the unblemished symmetry which is popular in commercial guitars. However, they reflect personal choices and together with the transparent natural finish contribute to the instrument's unique character. Tonally it is the equal of several high quality acoustic guitars I have acquired over the years and will improve with time as the woods settle and the act of playing enhances the instruments resonance. I am pleasantly surprised with what I was able to achieve at a first attempt. Chuck's process and guidance helped me build to a standard that would otherwise have required many attempts and a gradual learning curve. Instead I was able to concentrate on the fundamental skills required at each stage. Could I do better and will I build another guitar? That remains to be seen. For the time being I am looking forward to enjoying a fine instrument with special significance. All that remains now if for me to design a label and glue that inside the soundbox of the guitar. I'll probably wait until I'm putting on a fresh set of strings.

I have included a low resolution video of me playing the guitar. The tune is Si Bheag, Si Mhor, by the 17th Century Irish Harpist, Turlough O'Carolan. This one's for Seamus.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Jake,
    I'm delighted to see the end product. I've been logging in every day or two over the last month or so for an update and am glad to finally quench my thirst...as it were!
    The guitar looks sweet. Such a nice finish, one of a kind, really looks great.
    I've had a few listens to your video piece - great playing Jake and the sound is spot on. Very impressive it must be said - a great choice of tune also and a piece that Seamus would have enjoyed thoroughly.
    We want more!!! Another few video postings of some of your other playing would be great Jake - I'll keep an eye out, in the off-chance that you find some spare time to do so.
    Great stuff though Jake, looks like your happy with the outcome and certainly, as far as the eye can see and the ear can hear, it's all been very worthwhile............how much d'ya want for it?!!!
    All the best Jake,
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad,
    The guitar is a thing of beauty. So is the song, surely it made Seamus smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jake: Fascinating work. Beautiful result. Mack

    ReplyDelete